Family Established Since 1950

Premier Bed & Breakfast Accommodation in St. Pancras

OCTOBER 2013 -KINGSCROSS INFORMATION

Home > News > OCTOBER 2013 -KINGSCROSS INFORMATION

Welcome to our fresh new blog and website with lots of local information about King’s Cross and the current promotions we have in place. Every month, we will look at different aspects about the King’s Cross area. This month we look at the history of King’s Cross and the rejuvenated St. Pancras Station.

1. CURRENT PROMOTIONS IN PLACE (as of September 2013)

RECEPTION

* DECEMBER 2013- SPECIAL CHRISTMAS WEEK RATES *

  • From 22th December till 26th December 2013
  • Discounted Rates only applies if booked Online
  • Subject to availability
  • Great Rates. Great Discounts.

* CHECK NOW ON FOR AVAILABILITY AND PRICES *

* JANUARY 2014 – SPECIAL INTERNET DISCOUNTED RATES *

  • From 5th January till 31st January 2014
  • 20% Discounted Rates only applies if booked Online
  • Subject to availability
  • Great Rates

* CHECK NOW ON FOR AVAILABILITY AND PRICES *

2. KING’S CROSS STATION AND ITS HISTORY

Until recently, King’s Cross was a hidden London gem, but since the arrival of the St. Pancras International Terminal in 2007, the area has open its doors to the world. This month, and to launch our new blog, we have listed some interesting facts about its history.

The area now known as King’s Cross lay approximately 2 km north-west of the Roman settlement of Londonium. Roman remains suggest it may have been the site of a crossing of the Fleet River. It is also believed to be the location of the legendary battle between Queen Boudicca and Roman invaders.

The Barlow Shed under construction

The Barlow Shed under construction

1863

St Pancras train station was designed by William Barlow in 1863, with construction commencing in 1866. The famous Barlow train shed arch spans 240 feet and is over 100 feet high at its apex. On its completion in 1868 it became the largest enclosed space in the world.

One of the most recognisable features of St Pancras International today, the red brick Grade 1 listed Gothic front facade was created as part of a competition in 1865, and became the Midland Grand Hotel – designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, father of Giles, and built between 1868 to 1876.

Kings Cross Station these days

Kings Cross Station these modern days

1935-1945

In 1935 the Midland Grand Hotel was closed and the building became railway offices, and known as the St Pancras Chambers.

The station performed an important role during both world wars, acting as a meeting place for troops, a departure point for soldiers off to war, and to help transport children out of London to the safety of the countryside.

During WWII the station was hit during the Blitz on London. Despite the devastation, London Midland and Scottish Railway engineers soon had the platforms working again.

KX INSIDE2 2013

Sir John Betjeman presence inside Kings Cross Station

1966-1995

The greatest threat to the station came in 1966 with plans to amalgamate King’s Cross and St Pancras. However, public opinion had been sharpened by the demolition of Euston in 1962. Sir John Betjeman took up the cause to protect the station and, in 1967, the Government listed the station and hotel as Grade 1.

The St Pancras Chambers were used as BR offices until 1985 before falling vacant in the late eighties. In the early nineties emergency safeguarding works were undertaken to combat roof leakages and general decay.

St. Pancras International Terminal

St. Pancras International Terminal

The Present

St Pancras International remains one of the greatest Victorian buildings in London. It has become not just a key destination for Eurostar and high-speed rail in the UK, but a fantastic retail and hospitality destination, a great place for filming and photography and an usual space for hosting events.

The Alhambra Hotel is only moments away from the King’s Cross Station and the new St.Pancras International Terminal.